Sports without borders conference
Friday, 1 May, 2015 – Moonee Ponds, Melbourne.
“I’m not Racist, Sexist, Homophobic, but… Stop. Think. Change.”
The 2015 National Community Sports Conference, hosted by Sports Without Borders and Our Community, brings together the complete picture – sportspeople, club officials, volunteers, policymakers, government funders, federal and local government workers, peak bodies, and sports administrators.
People from different cultural backgrounds, people who speak English as a second language, girls and women, gay people and people with disabilities face the challenges of being “outsiders” at sports clubs across Australia.
Discrimination in sport needs to be addressed and this conference brings debate, discussion and deliberation on some of the challenges sporting communities face to become more inclusive.
This conference will provide the inspiration and the practical support to ensure sports participants, administrators, volunteers and supporters have the tools they need to make our sports clubs the most inclusive in the world.
- How to get more people involved in your club
- How to foster an ethical and inclusive framework without compromising a winning spirit
- Meet people who care about what you care about
- Get inspiration for the year ahead
- How to use social media to recruit and retain players and supporters
- How to raise money without burning out your members
Our panel of speakers:
- Master of Ceremonies: Paul Kennedy (Host of ABC Contact Sport and ABC Breakfast)
- James Demetriou (Chairperson, Sports Without Borders)
- Hon John Eren (Victorian Minister for Sport) – TBC
- Dr Tim Soutphommasane (Australia’s Race Discrimination Commissioner)
- Dr Emma Sherry (La Trobe University)
- Professor Russell Hoye (La Trobe University)
- Jenny Brockie (Journalist and host of SBS’s Insight program)
- Shaun Burgoyne (Indigenous Hawthorn Football Club three-time premiership player)
- Jason Ball (Government Liaison and Project Officer, Young and Well Cooperative Research Centre)
- Dr Pippa Grange (Director, Bluestone Edge)
- Rita Panahi (Media commentator, 1116 SEN Radio Host)
- Jenni Cole (CEO, Disability Sports Australia)
- Craig Hill (Executive Director, ASTN)
- Andrew Walton (Director, Sales & Marketing, Interact Sport)
- Patrick Moriarty (Fundraising specialist, Institute of Community Directors Australia)
- Maria Dimopoulos (Managing Director, Myriad Consultants)
- Patrick Skene (Director, Sport & Media, Red Elephant Projects
- Peter Downs (National Manager, Play by the Rules)
- Athalia Zwartz (Executive Officer, Initiatives of Change Australia)
The Q&A Panel Session returns with another hot topic: “What is the Cost to Sport?”
The Australian Sports Technologies Network will provide a Sports Tech expo with new and exciting gadgets.